Nonfiction Contest for Emerging Writers
$1,000 and publication in Boulevard awarded to the winning essay by a writer who has not yet published a book of fiction, poetry, or creative non-fiction with a nationally distributed press.
We are thrilled to announce the debut of our inaugural nonfiction contest. We will be accepting entries starting June 2, 2018.
- All entries must be postmarked before September 30, 2018 or submitted online by midnight CT.
- Entry fee is $16 for each individual essay, with no limit per author, and includes a one-year subscription. Make checks payable to Boulevard.
- Author's name, address, and telephone number, in addition to the essay's title and "Boulevard Emerging Writers Contest," should appear on page one.
- Manuscripts should be typed and double spaced.
- Cover sheets are not necessary.
- No manuscripts will be returned.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but previously accepted or published work is ineligible.
- We accept works up to 8,000 words.
- We are especially interested in nonfiction works that are researched and/or reported such as literary journalism, hybrid essays, etc.
- All entries will be considered for publication and for payment at our regular rates.
- Entries will be judged by the editors of Boulevard.
- No one editorially or financially affiliated with Boulevard can enter the contest.
- The winning essay will be first announced on the website and then published in the subsequent issue of Boulevard.
- Mail submissions to Boulevard Emerging Writers Contest, 4125 Juniata St. #B, St. Louis, MO 63116 or submit online.
Due to the number of submissions, we cannot respond to each writer individually. Please check the website for notification of the winner.